Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Still working on the hope chest.

As the title of the post would suggest, I continue to work on handmade items to add to Ri's hope chest.  These are my newest offerings:
I took images from free coloring pages to do this one.
I just used my printer to scale everything to the size I wanted and then arranged them the way I liked before transferring the design to the towel.  After stitching everything, I decided I should have made the ring for the measuring spoons red in order for the colors to balance better.  Instead of ripping out some of the stitches and reworking that section, I just added the little dash-of-love heart.  I think I like it better this way than if I had just done the ring in red.
I saw a picture of some sort of kitchen linen done up like this in a magazine, but when I tried to find out where to get the pattern, I discovered they only had it available in a card (disk, or whatever it is they use) for an embroidery machine.  Since I don't have an embroidery machine, I had to do my best to draw this out.  I think it turned out well.
This is another image I got from free coloring pages.
I altered this one a bit more.  I changed how the steam, rising from the two pots on the stove looks (sorry - it's kind of hard to see the white thread on the cream towel in this photo), added butter to the potatoes on the plate to the right (again - hard to see the white, but you can see it better if you click on the pic), changed what was a completely out of proportion chicken/turkey leg that was on the plate to the left into a roasted chicken, and added the clock.  I thought it would look better to have something high on the right to balance the height of the refrigerator.  Since the appliances had a retro look to them, I did them up in teal and made a stylized clock.

Next project, hand towels for the bathroom.
post signature

4 comments:

  1. What free coloring pages site did you use? I have been trying to find some of these to do for my 5 dd hope chest...
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanne!
      I don't know if these will link through this reply format, but you can copy and paste the url if they don't.
      Here is the one of the kitchen:
      http://www.edupics.com/coloring-page-kitchen-i8787.html
      This is the same site, but shows other options for kitchen items. You may find something else you like there.
      http://www.edupics.com/coloring-pages-kitchenware-c610.html
      There is a link on this webpage that will send you to a coloring page of veggies that would be nice done up in embroidery:
      http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474980057853
      I can't remember where I got the measuring cup, spoons, and rolling pin, but here are some that have kitchen tools in them:
      http://www.thekidzpage.com/colouring_menus/pbdom/pages/c0358f.htm
      http://stenningfamilynews.blogspot.com/2010/02/print-this-coloring-sheets.html
      http://www.edupics.com/coloring-page-cooking-i17352.html
      I hope these help.

      You can also do a google search for food, cooking or kitchen coloring pages and then click on the images tab on the left and you should get a lot of ideas.

      Have fun!

      Delete