Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Strawberries!!

I guess you know the girls have truly mastered strawberry picking when they can walk out of the field with over 25lbs of strawberries in just 12 minutes.



I kid you not; it's a new record for us. The last time I remembered to time it (2, maybe 3 yrs ago?), we clocked in at about 1 pound per minute; it looks like we've cut that in half.  Of course, the girls are older - especially the younger ones, which is where I think we've managed to make the most improvement in time.  Kay, Ri, and I did most of the picking in years past, but everyone was 100% on board this time.   I've always chanted that age-old mantra at the girls, "Many hands make light work.", but even the younger ones can easily see this in action at times like these. We picked these last Wed.  I woke up that morning with my throat a little sore and after picking the berries and doing a couple of other things, I was wiped out by lunch time. I set the berries aside that afternoon (minus one whole box, most of which had already been consumed), in the hopes that I would feel better the next day and be able to deal with them then. Well, that didn't happen because, by the next morning, my sore throat was a full blown cold. I ended up having the girls sort, wash, and freeze them for use later on. I had wanted some of them frozen anyway so that I can take advantage of the upcoming blueberry and blackberry seasons and try a mixed berry jam later on this summer.  I may just wait and do the strawberry jam then too.



There were some gorgeous, picture perfect berries that made the most beautiful, and tasty stuffed strawberries we've ever had - but I probably say that every year :).  Thanks to Bree who has made them for us twice so far.  If you've never had them, you should give them a try.

Mix one 8oz. box softened cream cheese with 1/3c powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla.
Put in an icing bag, fitted with a star tip, or you could just use a ziploc bag with one corner cut out.
Cut the top out of the strawberry and fill it with the cream cheese mixture.  Chill (if you can wait that long to eat them)

I've served these for everything from showers, to birthday parties and even at weddings.  Everyone loves them.

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment