Saturday, July 16, 2011

Dr. Pepper Pork Chops

Another non-crock pot recipe, but we don't use the slow cooker as much in the summer. Perhaps I'll have more of those recipes later on. Until then I thought I'd still post a recipe on Saturdays. This week's is...

Dr. Pepper Pork Chops
Pork chops (bone-less, bone-in, it doesn't really matter)
Dr. Pepper - 1-2, 8oz bottles
Salt and pepper, or seasoning blend of your choice

Put your pork chops in a bowl and cover with Dr. Pepper.
I was preparing 12 and it took 1 & 1/2, 8oz. bottles of Dr. Pepper.
Marinate 4 - 6 hours.
Drain off liquid, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and/or seasoning salt (I use a little Tony Chachere's), and then proceed to grill (personal favorite), pan fry, or coat in bread crumbs and bake at 375 'til done. I can't say how long that will take because it will depend on how thick your pork chops are. Just try not to overcook them. The Dr. Pepper helps to tenderize them, but nothing will save them from being cooked to death.
Let them rest for several minutes before cutting into them.
I was in a hurry last night so I just pan fried them. Tender, juicy - yummm.
The zuchinni (sauteed with onion, in butter and soy sauce), cucumbers, and tomatoes were all from our garden. There is something so satisfying about serving food you were responsible for growing.

I was told once by my father-in-law that you could do this with Pepsi too (probably with any dark cola), and if I remember correctly we gave it a try and it was good too. You'll have to give it a shot. There is a little sweetness to it, but not much. We don't keep soda at the house since we rarely drink it, but it's worth the effort to pick up a bottle or two every once in awhile just to change up the menu a bit.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment