Wednesday, January 6, 2010

So Far, So Good

Everything has started off well.  We got the de-Christmasing done on Monday, in a remarkably short amount of time.  I don't know if it was because we had a couple of extra hands, what with Superman being here and all, or if it's just because the younger ones are all just a little older and are also a bit more help.  But whatever the reason, it was all done well before noon, so I decided to go ahead and utilize the extra hands we had, and have him help me run all the other recycling to the dump box site.  We finished everything up (including an impromptu trip by the grocery store) and were back home, fixing lunch by 1:00.  Then, hubby made an executive decision to start school off anyway, by putting in some history documentaries after lunch dishes were cleaned up.  So, we sat around watching those and shelling some of the pecans we've been storing in the garage.  Superman and I cracked, while the girls removed all the nut meat from the shells.  We ended up with just a bit over 3lbs of shelled pecans.  Don't ask how many we have left to shell - this is a positive post. 
On Tues. the milk run went pretty well, despite the fact that we had to do some of our trip in reverse of what we normally do - and it was COLD!!! - But - it wasn't raining! Yay!
Today we worked school in around several things, such as tutoring my cousin (which means the girls watch his baby while he and I work), Beenie's guitar lesson (the girls did some of their school in the waiting area), a trip to the bank to cash everyone's Christmas checks, and open a savings account for Bree, and a trip out to visit Grandma.  We were a little early for the guitar lesson, so I got to meet another mother there that I had not seen before.  This was her first year homeschooling, and she seemed a little stressed out, so I got to talk with her for a bit, encouraging her not to compare their work at home with what her son would have been doing in the private school he had been in (this was what was causing the stress).  I sincerely hope I was able to help her out, if even just a little.  Overcoming the intense desire to compare your homeschool to public, private, or even other homeschools can be difficult, but it is incredibly important.
So, all in all, I think the year has gotten off to a terrific start!!  I hope all of you are having a great week as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment